Picking, Pickup & Puppy Packets!
I am often asked about when people know what puppy we helped them pick, what my puppy packet includes, and what to expect at pickup, so I figure this might be a good spot to explain that! We like to get our puppies started off right, therefore pickup will be a good time to ask questions and our puppy packets will contain some great information and goodies!
We match people with their puppy, so that each puppy is fit in to a home that is best for its temperament and activity level. It is important that each puppy has a home that will be the best fit. Utilizing our applications, we will assess temperaments using the Volhard’s Puppy Aptitude Testing of puppies at 6-7 weeks of age, and match puppies with their homes based on the temperament and present behavior. The following are what we take into consideration:
Social Attraction - degree of social attraction to people, confidence or dependence.
Following - willingness to follow a person.
Restraint - degree of dominant or submissive tendency, and ease of handling in difficult situations.
Social Dominance - degree of acceptance of social dominance by a person.
Elevation - degree of accepting dominance while in a position of no control, such as at the veterinarian or groomer.
Retrieving - degree of willingness to do something for you. Together with Social Attraction and Following a key indicator for ease or difficulty in training.
Touch Sensitivity - degree of sensitivity to touch and a key indicator to the type of training equipment required.
Sound Sensitivity - degree of sensitivity to sound, such as loud noises or thunderstorms.
Sight Sensitivity - degree of response to a moving object, such as chasing bicycles, children or squirrels.
Stability - degree of startle response to a strange object.
We allow pickups when puppies are 8 weeks of age. If a puppy needs to stay longer, we will discuss starting training and price for that! On pickup you will receive your puppy and a packet of goodies (what's in the packet is discussed below). We will go over and enroll your puppy with their health insurance (free for 30 days) and microchip ($~17). We will also go over the documents we have for you, including the vet information and food.
We can meet our puppy buyers outside our home for their convenience, but welcome you to come see our dogs and where the puppies have been raised when they are 8 weeks old in our home. We will make these arrangements prior to their pickup date!
When you arrive to pickup your puppy please bring the following:
1. The difference that you still owe on your puppy in CASH. We are not taking personal checks AT ALL. We will take credit cards through GOOD DOG if it is paid at least 72 hours (3 days) in advance, and sometimes Venmo for folks flying/traveling from afar. Please let us know ahead of time what your plan is.
2. A credit card to enroll your dog's microchip. We pay for the chip, so just expect you to pay to have your information put on it. This is usually about $17. If you want us to help you complete your AKC registration we can also do that at this time.
3. Crate and water... We recommend that you bring a crate for the puppy to sleep in while he/she is in the car with you. However, some people prefer to hold the puppy on their laps. We will send you home with a travel bowl.
4. A little baggy of dog food. We do not feed our puppies their full meals (just a small meal) the day they travel (to avoid sickness or accidents). Bring a light snack and some water if you have a long drive ahead of you. We will send you with some treats as well.
STOPPING FOR POTTY BREAKS
-Please, keep in mind your puppy is not completely covered for sickness until his/her shots are finished. We recommend that when you are stopping to let your puppy go potty to make sure that it is a safe spot that other dogs may not usually stop at. Puppies can show symptoms of sickness within 3-10 days of exposure, so keep a close eye on your puppy after they get home to make sure they were not exposed on the way! Keep your puppy at home and away from unvaccinated dogs until they get their third series of vaccinations.
I love to shop for puppies, so your puppy comes with a great puppy packet!! Here is what we include (subject to change at any time):
- Microchip tag
- Hand made blanket (with momma/litter's smell)
- Toys (ball, stuffed animal, etc)
- Samples (treats, supplements, etc)
- AKC registration (we will fill this out at pickup)
- Information packet (puppy care, food care, etc)